Wednesday, September 21, 2011

It's GO TIME!

Well, the clock is ticking down and I have about four days before the Elephant Man 70.3 and I have been a nervous wreck! Every night I dream about the race and every swim stroke, bike pedal, and run step that I’m going to attempt and I wake up exhausted. Even during the day at work I can’t seem to get the race out of my head. I have had a good several months of training and my body is feeling pretty good. I have never really tapered before because all my races have been sprints and I have not had the need, but I have tried to taper down for this race. Not sure if I’m doing it right, but my legs should be fresh come Sunday.

One of the things that I have been working on the past couple weeks is my race day nutrition. Once again, since all of my races have been sprints I have only needed a minimal amount of nutrition during a race. I am at the point now where I can handle drinking HEED, a limited number of gels, and the Gatorade Primes. I tried to drink the Hammer Perpetuem, but just can’t stomach the taste or the way it makes my stomach feel. I know in future 70.3 races I will have a better handle on my nutrition, but feel like I can finish this race with the energy I’ll need.
I’m committed to wearing my wetsuit if it is allowed. I had been going back and forth and at one point was not going to wear it, but to put my mind more at ease I’ve just decided to go with it. The water will be a nice 76-80 degrees so temperature shouldn’t be an issue. My swim training has been OK, but the real issue for me is just to relax in the water. If I can relax and just settle into a nice pace, the swim should be fine.

I have heard so many stories from people about their first 70.3 and appreciate all the advice and help they have given me. Gretchen and Bobby have been a tremendous help and I wouldn’t be where I am now without it. Also, Rob and Art have been great to train with and push me every time we go out for a ride, swim, or run. And I can’t forget the words of encouragement from Cody, Juan, Francois, and Matt.
My goal time for the race is 5 hours and 45 minutes and of course to have fun! Even though I’m pretty sure the less time I spend out on the course, the more fun I will have J!

No comments:

Post a Comment